With our solar rebate program
Silicon Valley Power is offering incentives to make installing and generating electricity from PV systems more affordable for you. These incentives are in the form of rebates to Santa Clara residents and businesses for new installations of photovoltaic (PV) systems.
Businesses are eligible for a rebate for installing PV systems which meet their existing utility load up to 1 MW. For systems up to 50 kilowatts (kW) in size the current rebate level is $1.10/Watt.
For systems larger than 50 kW (but less than 1 MW), a Performance Based Incentive (PBI) is available. The current rebate level is $0.15/kWh. Rebate amounts will be reduced as SVP reaches installation targets. See the following table for schedule and current rebate level.
Commercial Rebate Schedule for PV Systems ≤ 50 kW
Installed Capacity MW
|MW Available per Rebate Step||Rebate $/Watt AC||MW Remaining in Current Rebate Step|
*Current Rebate Level - updated 06/25/2015
Commercial Rebate Schedule for PV Systems > 50 kW
Installed Capacity MW
|MW Available per Rebate Step||$ per kWh PBI Incentive Payment||MW Remaining in Current Rebate Step|
*Current Rebate Level: updated 06/25/2015
- All PV modules and inverters must be on the State of California Energy Commission list of eligible equipment. Please see the CEC list of approved PV modules and CEC list of approved PV inverters.
- The system must come with a minimum ten year warranty against breakdown or unusual degradation.
- The system must be installed by a licensed contractor.
- The system must be installed in accordance with all applicable building and national electric codes.
- The system must be connected to the grid.
- For systems larger than 50 kW, a separate revenue grade meter must be installed to monitor PV system performance. Data reporting for PBI rebates must be provided by a qualified PMRS (Performance Monitoring and Reporting Service) provider. Host Customer / Installer will work with SVP to install necessary equipment and coordinate data reporting.. A list of PMRS providers can be found here.
- Host Customer must execute an Interconnection and Net Energy Metering Agreement with the City.
- A Generating Facility Interconnection Application must be submitted with your permit application.
- Host Customer must agree to future inspections of the equipment to verify PV system performance.
- Prior to installation, Host Customer must have received an energy audit by SVP or other approved entity within the last two years to identify all other energy efficiency opportunities in addition to PV.
Steps to Receiving your Rebate
- Select a qualified PV contractor and an eligible PV system to purchase.
- Complete and submit your application before installing your system, to reserve your payment.
- SVP will review your application and contact you when application has been approved. Once approved, your system must be installed within twelve months.
- For systems = 50 kW, SVP will issue your rebate payment within six to eight weeks of receiving your invoice and final building permit.
- For systems > 50 kW, SVP will issue PBI Payments monthly to the designated recipient for a period of five years.
You can fax the completed form to 408-244-2990 or mail the completed form to:
Solar Electric Rebates
Silicon Valley Power
1601 Civic Center Drive, Suite 102
Santa Clara, CA 95050
If you have any questions, please call 408-615-6640.
Finding Registered Equipment SellersThe Go Solar California website has a database of registered equipment sellers. You can also go to the Find Solar website to read customer feedback and ratings of installers that were used.
Solar Electric Rebate Application: Systems < 50 kW [PDF: 77.4k]
Solar Electric Rebate Application: Systems > 50 kW [PDF: 78.1k]
Interconnection and Net Metering Agreement [PDF: 137k]
Generator Facility Application: Systems > 10 kW [PDF: 143k]: Bring completed form when applying for permits for your Solar Electric System
SD 1630 [PDF: 110k]: Overview of the review process of the Generator Facility Application
SD 1631 [PDF: 332k]: SVP engineering Standards for Generator Facilities